Key features include:
- An intuitive interface that makes it easy for instructors to design courses, create content and grade assignments.
- A design that works on all devices and is paired with purpose-built native apps that create an awesome mobile experience for both instructors and students.
- A mobile-friendly LMS that provides a modern way to learn, with no need to pinch-and-zoom or scroll to view content on mobile devices.
Are you interested in having your student’s work checked for plagiarism? Turnitin® is available in Brightspace for instructors who are looking for a solution similar to SafeAssign.
Class Progress Tool
The Class Progress tool tracks your learners’ overall progress as a course and individually. This tool can be used to:
- Monitor progress for any or all users in your course
- Prepare progress reports
- Track when a user accesses the course and downloads course content
- And more!
The Pulse App
Students can receive instant notifications and update from courses and well as navigate and interact with course material. Get the Pulse app for iOS and Android.
The Quick Eval tool offers instructors a single location to view all learner submissions that are awaiting evaluation including quizzes, assignments, and discussions. Instructors can sort, filter, and search submissions to prioritize their evaluation work.
Intelligent Agents in Brightspace can assist instructors, administrators, and students by providing an automated message when:
- A defined student activity occurs in a course
- An activity does not take place in a course
- A student does or doesn’t login to Brightspace
- A student does or doesn’t enter a particular course
Give your students the power of crossing off to-dos or steps in an assignment with checklists:
Create a checklist, and add it to a Content Module. Then, students can check off items as they complete them.
Use HTML Templates, which adjust based on screen size, are accessible and interactive, to style course content pages without having to write code!
3rd Party Tools
There are many add-ons or LTI tools that have been added to Brightspace.
- No courses will be taught in Blackboard. No access
- All Courses and Organizations will be conducted through LMS (Brightspace).
- Continued course development training.
- Last semester for Blackboard access
- Continued course development training for summer and fall 2023 for instructors.
- All courses are taught in Blackboard, except for courses that are taught in LMS (Brightspace) by early adopters.
- Continued course development training for summer and fall 2023 for instructors.
- Few selected schools will start using Brightspace for this semester.
- Classes will still be available on Blackboard.
- As of August 8th 2022, all instructors for selected schools can login at LMS (Brightspace).
- Training begins for instructors.
LIU has adopted D2L Brightspace as our next-gen modern learning management environment replacing Blackboard. LIU’s Blackboard learning management environment will retire on August, 31, 2023. Until that date, faculty, staff, and students can still log in at blackboard.liu.edu to view and download content and data from past courses. After August 31st, neither faculty nor students nor staff will have access to materials and student submissions directly on Blackboard.
Getting content out of Blackboard (faculty)
As we transition to D2L Brightspace, we would like to provide important next steps that we are taking to preserve your Blackboard course content and a few recommended steps you should take to backup and archive your course content from Blackboard.
What we are doing
Migrating Blackboard course sites from Spring 2021 onwards into Brightspace:
Migrated courses will not contain any student enrollments or student data, but will contain course content, including uploaded files, tests, quizzes, exams, and assignments.
Our recommended steps for you
Download your course content from your courses’ content collections
Each course in Blackboard has a content collection that houses all of the documents and file attachments that you uploaded as part of the course. Each course’s entire content collection can be downloaded as a single zip package. This file can be housed on your local computer or your online Microsoft OneDrive. This process is only required if you want to backup your courses prior to spring 2021.
Download your course Grade Centers into an Excel spreadsheet
The Grade Center for each course can be downloaded as an Excel spreadsheet for retention of student grades on your own computer. The spreadsheet will show scores/grades but will not include copies of student submitted work such as assignments and tests.
Download student-submitted papers, tests and discussions
If you want to retain copies of student work, you can download student-submitted papers (as zip packages) and tests (as Excel spreadsheets)
Download your test item pools as QTI files
Blackboard test item pools can be download as QTI (Question and Test Interoperability) zip packages which can be imported into a wide variety of other learning management systems, including Brightspace. Please note that only a test item pool downloads as QTI, individual Blackboard tests do not.
Getting content out of Blackboard (students)
As we transition to D2L Brightspace, we would like to provide a few recommended steps you should take to backup and archive your course content from Blackboard.
Saving your course work and course content
Downloading your submitted and graded papers (with and without instructor feedback):
You can download the papers you have submitted to Blackboard assignments, either in their original formats or with your instructor feedback attached as a PDF.
|Access your submitted and graded paper through Tools –> My Grades. Click on the Assignment name. On the Review Submission History screen, click on the Download icon to download your submitted paper.|
Downloading file attachments:
Files such as PDFs and PowerPoints that your instructors have uploaded to their Blackboard courses can be downloaded for you to keep on your personal computer.
|Access the individual files in your course content, and manually save those on your computer.|
Copying your grades:
While there is no way to download a version of your Grades in Blackboard, you can highlight the information on the My Grades page and paste them into an Excel spreadsheet if you wish to keep a record of them. Please note that this will not be considered an official grade record.
Downloading Instructor Assignment Comments
Notice: If there are several assignments created in the course be aware that the download process must be done for every assignment submission
Steps To Download Instructor Assignment Comments
- Go into the grade center and locate the column where graded assignments exists.
- Hover you mouse of the graded assignment and select the submission attempt to launch and preview graded submission with comments once the crocodoc window launches.
- Click on the download arrow to download the assignment submission with comments
- The pdf document will appear in the browser window which allows you to download or print the file.
Exporting Assignment Submissions
Notice: If there are several assignments created in the course be aware that the download process must be done for every assignment column that appears in the grade center
Steps To Download Student Assignment Submissions
- Go into the Grade Center and locate the column for the assignment submissions that you want to download.
- Click on the chevron (down-arrow) next to the assignment title and select Assignment File Download in the drop-down list.
- When the window launches select specific student submissions to download -OR- select the check box in the header bar to choose all available submissions then click Submit.
- In the pop-up window, select Download assignment now to download and save the file onto your computer (Notice: file will download as a zip file)
- Click OK to return to the Grade Center.Once all assignments have been downloaded locate and click on the zip file to extract the data. Be aware that you can preview a word document and pdf file; however, a txt file cannot be previewed.
Exporting Grade Center
Steps To Export and Grades in the Grade Center
- Go into the Grade Center to locate and select download from the drop-down arrow next to Work Offline.
- In the Download Grades window, leave default settings for DATA, OPTIONS and SAVE LOCATIONS; and click Submit.
- Click the DOWNLOAD button to download and store the file locally.
- The file will download and save as an Excel File.
- Locate and launch the excel file to preview the downloaded grade center.
Current Scheduled Training Sessions
Instructor and Staff Training
Brightspace training is available to instructors and staff through the various methods.
In depth training from recorded sessions in an LIU tailored environment.
(Requires LMS login)
Live or recorded training sessions offered by Brightspace (preferred)
Brightspace offers many live and recorded webinars on the various aspects of the platform.
Brightspace Subscription Training
Navigate to the landing page of Brightspace and follow the directions in the Subscription Training Registration Steps widget.
Training videos offered by Brightspace
Brightspace offers many video tutorials for instructors to learn more about the platform. Navigate to the landing page of Brightspace and click on Getting Started for Instructors on the main navigation bar.
Create an interactive gaming experience to improve engagement
Game Based Learning (GBL) is the use of games to enhance the learning experience.
Incorporating game based mechanics, visual design, and thinking into a course can help organizations improve learner motivation and engagement. Learners who are engaged are more inspired to succeed.
A highly interactive gaming experience is something that many learners are already comfortable with. They can proceed at their own pace and get immediate feedback about their progress.
In a game based environment, learners work towards a set goal. A risk-free setting encourages experimentation by letting them choose their own actions. They can even repeat a step if they need to.
Instructors can determine the scope and depth of the gaming experience, implementing game based learning that fits unique needs and objectives.
In the spirit of gaming, learners can personalize their learning experience by creating their own unique character (an avatar) using the Create Avatar process. The avatar is visible when learners access the Game Map.
Designing a Game Based Learning module
To motivate and engage learners, D2L recommends considering the four stages of course gamification when designing your Game Based Learning module:
Gamifying a course using awards in Brightspace
In Brightspace there is an awards system that you can set up with conditions that will grand a student that award when the conditions are met.
From your course menu go to Class tools > Awards> Course Awards.
From there you Click “Add Award to Course” then click “Create”.
Give the Award a name, a description that explains how to claim the award and select if it’s a certificate or a badge. A certificate will issue a pdf certificate that you create.
Set the availability and expiration dates if any
Choose an icon that best fits the award, or you can create your own. Set the issuer information and email then click save and close.
Finally, Click to edit the properties and you can set the credits and the conditions under which the award is given
Respondus in Brightspace
Reusing old course content in Brightspace
Over the course of 2022, instructor-created content from 2019-2022 LIU Class course sites will be moved into LIU Brightspace as reference material, where you may choose to reuse it to build your new Brightspace course sites. It is important to note that this content will be moved into corresponding LIUBrightspace “Reference Sites” under the equivalent term — content from a Spring 2022 LIU Classes course site will be moved into a corresponding Spring 2022 LIU Brightspace reference site; it will not be moved into your active Brightspace course sites, action IS required on your part if you choose to reuse this content.
Adding a TA to your Course
- Click on Classlist in the navigation bar.
- Click Add Participants and then Add Existing User.
- Enter the BNumber or name of the individual and click the magnifying glass.
- Scroll down to select the checkbox next to the user.
- Scroll to the right to change the role to TA and choose the course name from the dropdown list.
- Click Enroll Selected Users.
Brightspace offers many live and recorded webinars on the various aspects of the platform. Register for membership to join Brightspace Communities where you can access these resources and more.
Quick Brightspace Tutorial for Students
Brightspace Basics for instructors (pdf)
BRIGHTSPACE GUIDED TRAINING*
Learn about different functions in Brightspace using our Guided Training modules. This is self-directed, allowing you to choose content that is relevant to you and revisit it any time you need a refresher!
Brightspace Guided Training for Instructors
Brightspace Guided Training for Administrators
Brightspace Guided Training Webinars
BRIGHTSPACE DOCUMENTATION SITE
Check out the Brightspace Help (or Documentation) site to get the latest product information. Information is organized by user profile, so as an Administrator, Instructor, or Learner, you can find documentation based on your needs.
Other Useful Resources
How to Support At-Risk Students with Brightspace
How to Maximize Student Engagement with Brightspace
The Brightspace Community is the primary destination for D2L’s community of clients, partners, users, developers, and D2L staff to:
- Find product information, release notes, documentation, videos, and webinars
- Share product ideas with D2L, and your knowledge & resources with others
- Connect with other users and D2L staff through membership and discussion forums
Register for a Brightspace Community account
If you need more assistance getting started, check out this account creation & navigation YouTube videos:
How to Register & Navigate the Site
How to Engage More with Your Community
How to Manage your Community Profile
PRODUCT IDEA EXCHANGE*
Visit the Product Idea Exchange to request new Brightspace functionality or up-vote ideas from other Brightspace clients. You can access it from the navigation bar in the Community.
Want to learn more? Check out these articles in the Community:
PIE: What Makes an Idea Great
How D2L Product Managers Get Ideas for Roadmap
Brightspace 24/7 Technical Support
The first place to start if you need help with Brightspace 24/7 Technical Support via phone, chat, or email. 24/7 Support is available to all faculty, staff, and students.
You can connect with Brightspace Help using this link.
How do I log into Brightspace?
- Click on the Brightspace shortcut in your MyLIU portal
- Log in directly at https://lms.liu.edu
- Click the login button at the top of this page.
Is there a mobile app for LIU Brightspace?
For the best experience on mobile, it is recommended to go to LIU LMS (Brightspace) through your mobile device’s browser at this time.
Why is "CONVERTED" in my class title?
This is a course that was converted from Blackboard. It is an old course. You will not use this course as a real, teaching shell, but you can import content from it into a future course shell.
What BlackBoard Features will be Available in Brightspace
Many of the features that are commonly used in Blackboard will be available in Brightspace, including:
- Content – files, pages, links
- Folders/Modules (called Modules in Brightspace)
- Tests (called Quizzes in Brightspace)
- Third-party tools like Turnitin, Zoom, etc.
Where is the Content I had in my Blackboard course folders?
Content is organized in the Content section of the course. Folders are now Modules and Sub-modules. You can add modules and sub-modules as needed, rearrange and rename files as well as add additional content.
I'm logged into blackboard and don't see my current courses ( after start of classes)
- Scroll down to the My Courses widget.
- Use the left and right arrows in the widget to scroll to the desired term.
- If you still do not see your course, go to your MyLIU portal to ensure you are enrolled.