Installing SAS® 9.4 for Windows 7 and Windows 8 and Windows 10 at Long Island University
Due to the complexity of this install we recommend that you work with your departmental IT staff to deploy the software. Please forward a copy of your license to IT at firstname.lastname@example.org and your IT support staff member and they will assist you.
Key considerations before installing using media on the software download site:
- The new version of SAS 9.4 (TS1M1) will work on 32-bit or 64-bit Operating Systems.
- SAS 9.4 can only be installed on Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise versions of Windows 7; Pro or Enterprise versions of Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
- SAS requires 10 – 15 GB of hard drive space.
- This installation will take at least 3 hours to complete after you have downloaded and decompressed the installation media.
- It is strongly recommended that you download the installation files from a wired network connection – using a wireless connection can dramatically increase your download time (24 hours or more has been reported by some users) and the files can be corrupted or damaged when downloaded so slowly.
- If you are migrating from a previous version of SAS, please read all vendor documentation and follow the recommended steps for your current version. http://support.sas.com/rnd/migration/utility/upgrade.html
- Make sure to back up any data files before installing or upgrading.
BEFORE YOU INSTALL:
- If you have not reviewed them yet, please refer to the System Requirements.
- Review the appropriate requirements for the SAS Installer account:
- For Windows, the installer account must have Administrator rights (user must be a local administrator on the machine and/or a member of the administrators group.
- Check compatibility of your computer operating system. SAS 9.4 runs on the professional, ultimate, and enterprise versions of Windows 7 and the Pro and Enterprise versions of Windows 8 and Windows 8.1
- Determine if your computer is running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of the operating system. SAS 9.4 is available in a 32-bit edition or a 64-bit edition. If you have the wrong edition, contact your local IT Help Desk to arrange an exchange.
- Make sure you have sufficient storage space on your computer. SAS 9.4 requires at 10 – 15 gigabytes of disk space including documentation. If you are licensed for the Teaching and Research version of SAS, installing all components of the program requires over 15 gigabytes of disk space including documentation.
- Close all open software applications and disable any virus scanning software on your computer.
- Make sure that your computer is connected to a wired network connection. Downloading the installation files from a wireless connection is not recommended as these files are very large and require a significant amount of time and bandwidth to download. If you get an error at any point during your download, we strongly recommend that you start the download over again.
For complete details on system requirements for SAS 9.4 please visit the documentation prepared by SAS on SAS System Requirements Windows x64 or SAS System Requirements Windows.
PERFORM YOUR SOFTWARE INSTALLATION
- Check your computer system to verify that you are using a 32-bit or 64-bit enterprise version of Windows 7 or Windows 8.
- Make sure your copy of Microsoft Windows is up-to-date; make sure that all critical Windows updates have been installed. You can find out if all your critical Windows updates have been installed by going to Windows Update and checking for available updates.
- When you download the SAS files from the ITS Software Download site, the files will be compressed as zip files. After you have downloaded the appropriate file, you will need to use a program such as WinZIP to decompress the file so that you can install the software. Once you have selected and installed a software program on your computer to decompress the zip file, choose one of the folders and extract, or decompress all the files in that folder to another folder on your desktop.
- If you are modifying an existing SAS deployment, perform a backup before you install your new SAS software.
- Back up the existing SASHOME directory (for example, C:\Program Files\SAS).
- To install your software, use the SAS Deployment Wizard in your SAS Software Depot and follow the steps outlined below.
- Double-click the at the root of the media to start the SAS Deployment Wizard.
- The SAS Deployment Wizard should launch. Select the language you wish to use for the installation process (English is the default) and click OK.
- The SAS Deployment Wizard may take several minutes to load, and does not show a progress bar. This is normal.
- On the SAS Deployment Task window, choose Install SAS Software. Click Next>.
- On the Specify SAS Home window, keep the default installation directory. Click Next>.
- On the Select Deployment Type window, select Install SAS Foundation and Related Software. Click Next>.
- Select “Install SAS software” in the End User Tasks section and then click next.
- On the Select Products to Install window, check the box next to each individual SAS product you wish to install. The default configuration should has all the options selected that are covered with a standard SAS license. When you have finished selecting the SAS products to install, Click Next>.
- On the Select Java Runtime Environment window, we recommend that you select Use Recommended Java Runtime Environment, unless you know you have a specific need for a particular different version. Click Next>.
- If you are installing on a computer running the 64-bit version of Windows, you will see the following additional screens:
- On the Select SAS Foundation Mode you must choose whether to install the 64-bit or 32-bit version of SAS Foundation.
- The 32-bit version is more compatible with previous SAS files and other applications, while the 64-bit version allows more powerful computation. Click the radio button next to the versions you wish to install. (We recommend that you accept the default values.) Click Next >.
- On the Select SAS Enterprise Guide Mode window, select which mode of SAS Enterprise Guide to install. (We recommend that you accept the default value.) Click Next>.
- On the Select SAS Add-In for Microsoft Office Mode window, select the version corresponding to the version of Microsoft Office installed on the machine. Click Next>.
- On the Select SAS Foundation Products window, choose which individual components of the SAS Foundation you wish to install. We recommend that you accept the default choices. Click Next>.
- On the Specify SAS Installation Data window, browse to the location of your current license file. This should already be in the default location. Click Next>.
- On the Select Language Support window, choose which languages you wish to be supported on your installation. By default, all languages will be installed. We recommend that you first click the Clear All button, which deselects all languages except English. You may then add back any individual languages you would prefer. Click Next>.
- On the Select Regional Settings window, the language should default to the primary language you chose when you started the installation. Click Next>.
- On the Default Product for SAS File Types window, choose either the SAS Foundation or SAS Enterprise Guide. Click Next>.
- On the Specify Document Conversion Host and Port window, we recommend that you accept the default values. Click Next >.
- SAS should then run a system configuration check, to make sure that the components and values you have selected are valid for your machine and operating system. This can take several minutes. If it returns errors, click <Back to the problematic selection and choose a different value. If it passes, click Next>.
- Review the installation options. If they are correct, click Start. Once the installation has completed, click Next>.
- On the Select Support Option window, choose the Send option to submit your license information to SAS. After choosing your option, click Next>.
- On the Additional Resources window, click Finish.
- Your SAS installation is now complete.
Errors During Installation
If at any time, the installer reports that a component failed to install, DO NOT ABORT THE INSTALLER. Tell the installer to continue with errors, until the installation wizard completes the installation attempt. Upon completion, please try re-running the installer from the beginning. In the vast majority of reported cases, a second install attempt completes successfully.
SAS installs numerous components on your machine, and some of these components are needed to remove other components. The procedure to uninstall SAS varies with the version you’re using.
Uninstall SAS 9.3 & 9.4
The SAS 9.3 and 9.4 Deployment Wizard includes an uninstall function. When you launch the Deployment Wizard, one of the options will be “Uninistall SAS and all components.”
Please use this utility to remove SAS 9.3 or 9.4. Attempting to remove SAS components manually via “Add/Remove Programs” can leave Windows in an unstable state.
After the SAS uninstall utility successfully completes, you may safely use Add/Remove Programs to remove any remaining SAS components.